.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise

I was sure I had already posted this recipe on my blog, but going through my topic index, I couldn't find it. Everyone needs a good homemade mayo recipe, because you never know when you might run out and need some quick!


Let me preface this recipe with the fact that I wanted one that was both soy-free and without sweeteners, such as high fructose corn syrup. Have you ever read the labels of the mayo in the store? Good luck finding a jar without at least ONE of these two ingredients! Trader Joe's may have one, but it's a bit expensive to say the least. You'll find this recipe much easier on the pocket book and better for your body.

So if you're not going to use soy as an oil base, what are you going to use? There are all kinds of oils out there, but in my house, we only use olive oil or coconut oil (with rare occurrences of specialty oils such as sesame seed oil, walnut oil, etc.). Coconut oil just didn't seem like the right option, so I tried my usual extra virgin olive oil. Problem was... it just tasted like olive oil. Not what I wanted.

I actually went out and purchased some grape seed oil and gave that a try. Not bad, but it wasn't great either. I still wasn't getting the mayo taste I wanted.

Then it occurred to me that extra light olive oil might work. And sure enough... it was just the right oil (for me anyway!).


Homemade Mayonnaise

1 farm fresh egg
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 T. raw apple cider vinegar
1 C. extra light olive oil

Combine the first four ingredients and 1/4 cup of the olive oil and blend on the lowest speed...



Slowly, but steadily, pour in the remaining oil while continuing to blend...



You don't want the mayo to curdle, so take your time. If it does curdle, pour the mayo into a bowl and set aside, add another egg to the blender, turn the blender on and slowly add the curdled mayo back into the blender again. Honestly, I've never actually had it curdle, so it's not super finicky.

If all goes well, it should look like this...


Nice and smooth! And tasty!!


This recipe makes 1 1/4 cups and keeps for about two weeks in the refrigerator, but I try to use it within the week, just to be on the safe side. I believe olive oil is a natural preservative, so it should be fine.

So, I'm going to do something different here. If you have a mayo recipe you think is really outstanding, link it up below because it would be fun to try some different mayo recipes, don't you think? Why buy this stuff when it's so eeeeeasy to make? And I'd love a good mustard and ketchup recipe! Link those up if you've got one!







LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails