.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Preparedness Challenge #13

Did you think about preparing this week? And were you able to do something related to either food storage, emergency preparedness, or perhaps sustainable living? Even one thing counts! I know I did a little bit better. Not anything big, but my mind was on it more and I actually accomplished a couple of things.


First, I got quite a bit more of the garden planted. After I had my moment of despair (see my prior post "Gardening Like My Life Depended On It"), I managed to move forward and get something done out there! And can I add that all of your comments really encouraged me even further! There's something comforting knowing you're not the only one struggling at times.


I also found wild chamomile in my yard, or rather, it found me. The stuff is everywhere, but I really didn't think much about it until my 9 year old started asking questions about it. She has been making all kinds of concoctions with it and we wanted to know if it was safe to really use, so I started looking into it. Apparently, wild chamomile is a cousin to German chamomile and has all the same medicinal characteristics. Only wild chamomile doesn't get the white petals.


Photo Credit


Second, I tried some emergency food bars that my friend, Tanya, sells. At 400 calories, it's a complete meal and easy to stick in a 72 hour bag. I'm planning on making a purchase in the next week or two so my GOODY bags ("Get out of Dodge y'all") are just about finished. Be sure to visit here Tuesday as Tanya will be hosting a great give-away!


Photo Credit


Finally, I added 3 Costco size containers of distilled white vinegar to my food storage. Vinegar is great for cleaning, disinfecting, and pickling (although not for lacto-fermented foods) as well as a host of other uses and I seem to be using more and more of it lately which prompted me to make a large purchase. I like storing items I know I'll really use!


Wow! I think I hit all three preparedness categories. I've already started thinking about what I'm going to do for next week and I plan on starting right away! How are you doing?


Join The Challenge!


To join the Preparedness Challenge, just write a post on something you did this week to prepare and then link up below or leave a comment. Be sure to take the Preparedness Challenge Picture and add it to your blog so others know you're participating. Hopefully we can spread the word and encourage others to join!









LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails