.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Staying Hydrated During the Winter

The wood stove, the heating unit, and low humidity outside are sucking my skin and body dry! And therefore, staying hydrated in the winter is a huge challenge. I would much rather drink something warm during this season than something cold. But most of the hot drinks I consume, don't hydrate my body; at least not as well as good pure water. While talking to a chiropractor the other day, he commented on the fact that even herbal teas should be consumed in moderation and water should be the priority. 

Hmmm... just how am I going to get that water down when it's freezing outside? Especially when a peppermint mocha latte is calling my name? (I adore peppermint, but it aggravates my acid reflux and then my esophagus). 

My solution is to jazz up the water and make it feel more festive...


A sprig of rosemary, a cranberry for color, and a couple of drops (literally!) of Frontier's Peppermint Flavoring (not extract). Just bringing the glass up to my nose gives me a fragrant whiff of candy canes, but light and refreshing when drinking. In fact, the peppermint flavor was so light, it was barely noticeable, which is what I wanted; flavor without a lot of acid. 


No, it's not exactly a peppermint mocha latte from Starbucks, but then again, it didn't cost me $4 and it's a lot better for me. I'm still going to indulge on occasion, but in the meantime, I hope to be better to my body this year than I've been the last two or three. Being a year older every December has it's drawbacks and my body needs all the help it can get!


How about you? Are you drinking H20 this winter? What do you do to make it more appealing?



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails