.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday Twister #4

Although I can't seem to do the Tuesday Twister every week, I try to do this at least a couple of times a month. I love to see what others are learning and doing in their kitchens and I hope it inspires you to try new things, too. If you're not familiar with Tuesday Twister and would like to know more, visit Wardeh Harmon at GNOWFGLINS.


On my Tuesday Twister #3, I tried a soaked pancake recipe, and while it was satisfactory, I really wanted to try a different recipe for this process - the Pioneer Woman's sour cream pancakes! Her recipe is already fabulous, but would it be just as good if I soaked it prior to making them? 




I had to rearrange the order for how to combine the ingredients by mixing the flour and sour cream together the night before. Since I'm new to the whole "soaking" thing, I wasn't sure if the sour cream (regular store bought) would have enough acid to release the enzymes, so I added some whey just to be sure. (By the way, does anyone else freeze their whey in ice cube trays so they always have some on hand? I'm finding this really is a huge help for me). 




The next morning I combined the remaining ingredients to create these beautiful, yummy sour cream pancakes:




Another thing I learned to make the last couple of weeks were soaked cinnamon and honey biscuits. I really didn't think these would come out that great, but oh,my! They were heavenly!







I soaked whole wheat pastry flour (soft white berries I had milled) with coconut oil in apple cider vinegar and raw milk overnight. I knew I had added a bit too much flour so I didn't expect them to rise very much. I did expect them to come out heavy and dense. Instead, I was totally surprised when they came out light and flaky! They didn't rise much, but who cares when they taste this good! It was really hard not to eat just two... or three. Oh, and I had one at lunch. I think I'm gaining weight taking this cooking class because I can't stay out of the baked goods. It's a good thing it's only one part of the course!



Not everything I made came out so wonderfully. On my own, I decided to try and make some sauerkraut. I think this lesson is at the end of the cooking course, but I didn't want to wait because I had cabbage coming out my ears - it's in season right now down the mountain from us. 


After chopping up the head, I added some salt to help it ferment. By working it in with your hands, it starts to release it's liquid.



Then I packed it into the jar, poured the liquid on top...


And added a cabbage leaf to hold down the shredded cabbage below the liquid...


Next, I weighted it down with a smaller canning jar of water and left it out for about four days.

A few hours after all this, and some additional research on the internet, I decided I needed to add some whey and cover it with a lid. So I added the whey, removed the jar, and sealed it. And waited. 

On the fourth day I refrigerated it over night and then decided to taste it the next day. I think this may have been where I made my mistake because it tasted terrible! I threw it out too hastily. Perhaps I just needed to let it ferment more. Remember I'm learning here. This is new to me and I should have done some investigating before I ditched it. I think I was discouraged after watching and anticipating for so long. I'd love to hear from some of you who have done this before. Any ideas what when wrong? And has anyone made sauerkraut with apple cider vinegar instead?

Your turn to share! Anything new twisting in your kitchen lately?


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails